Saturday, January 3, 2009

DIY Project - Crown Molding...Part 1

New Year's Day we started working on our first DIY project of the year. We're adding crown molding to our main level [living room, family room and kitchen] and I thought it would be fun to journal our progress here and share some tips and pictures. It's really been a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. I can't believe how good it looks!


Difficulty Level ~ HARD


Purchased supplies:

  • 12" Dual Compound Miter Saw - this made it a lot easier for Jeff to cut the crown molding angles
  • 16 gauge finish nailer [air] - no hammering for us ;D
  • 2" finishing nails
  • Angle protractor
  • Paint
  • Paint brushes / supplies
  • Saw horses
  • Additional ladder - 2 are really needed
  • Caulk
  • Wood filler
  • 2 primed contractor packs of base board trim [120' each]
  • 2 primed contractor packs of crown molding [60' each]
Supplies we already had:
  • Brad nailer [air]
  • Brad nails
  • Chalk line
  • Tape measure
  • Level
  • Air compressor
  • Ladder
  • Pencils
Jan 1
  • We painted 2 coats of white paint on several pieces of trim
  • Researched how to terminate the ends [we're using 3 separate pieces of trim]
Jan 3
  • Measured and marked where ceiling and wall trim will be hung for all of family room [we used a chalk line and will not use it for the rest of our project - our walls and ceilings are not level and square, so it wasn't really accurate and the chalk line was just a BIG mess!]
  • Started hanging the trim [first the ceiling, then the wall, then the crown] - hung the trim pieces in whole family room and 1/2 of the kitchen; only hung 1 piece of crown in the family room
  • Painted more trim and crown pieces